IDEX and NAVDEX 2019 Conclude with UAE Armed Forces Registering Deals Worth AED20 Billion
aerobd.news : The 2019 editions of the International Defence Exhibition (IDEX) and Naval Defence Exhibition (NAVDEX), held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, concluded today with deals worth AED20,053,699,941 inked by the UAE Armed Forces over the five days of the dual events. Over the duration of the exhibitions, 65 per cent of the deals were awarded to international companies, while the remaining 35 per cent were allocated to national companies. His Excellency Staff Major General Pilot Faris Khalaf Al Mazrouei, Chairman of the Higher Organising Committee of IDEX and NAVDEX 2019, today headlined a press conference to announce the final numbers. The event drew the participation of His Excellency Major-General Staff Pilot Ishaq Saleh Al Balushi, Deputy Chairman of the Higher Organising Committee of IDEX and NAVDEX 2019, General Mohammed Al Hassani, Official Spokesperson of IDEX 2019, Naval Staff Colonel Fahad Nasser Saif Al Thehli, Official Spokesperson of NAVDEX 2019, Humaid Matar Al Dhaheri, Group CEO of the Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC), and Saeed Al Mansouri, Director of IDEX.
The spokespersons for IDEX and NAVDEX 2019 announced deals valued at AED402,760,834 were inked on day five of the collocated events. National companies received 7 of the 14 deals, while the remaining 7 were awarded to international companies. Speaking on the occasion, His Excellency Staff Major General Pilot Faris Khalaf Al Mazrouei, said: “Bringing together international and national decision-makers, experts and specialists, IDEX and NAVDEX 2019 further reinforced the UAE’s leading global status in attracting and hosting major defence and marine conferences and exhibitions.” He added: “Under the guidance of the UAE’s wise leadership, both exhibitions demonstrated the nation’s best-in-class defence, security and military capabilities that seamlessly integrate the advanced technologies of the Fourth Industrial Revolution and artificial intelligence.”
Speaking on the transformations sweeping the defence and security landscape in light of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and their impact on developing strategies that respond to future challenges, His Excellency Major-General Staff Pilot Ishaq Saleh Al Balushi said: “The IDEX and NAVDEX platforms have helped review and better understand the latest defence and security technologies. Through inking partnerships and deals with a number of major defence contractors and institutions, the UAE Armed Forces has reiterated its commitment to promoting international peace and security.” For his part, Humaid Matar Al Dhaheri said: “ADNEC has played a crucial role in developing the meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions (MICE) sector in the UAE and the wider region. This is evident in the hosting and organisation of the distinguished defence and naval exhibitions over several years. In realising the objectives of the Abu Dhabi Economic Vision 2030, ADNEC’s world-class facilities, services and infrastructure supported the success of the latest editions that drew the participation of international, regional and local exhibitors.”
Al Dhaheri added: “Coinciding with the silver jubilee of IDEX, the current edition of both exhibitions witnessed record-breaking national and international exhibitors and visitors. Over the five days, IDEX and NAVDEX attracted more than 124,370 visitors, as well as 1,213 media representatives from 42 countries, or an increase of 16 per cent compared to the 2017 edition.” To conclude, Al Dhaheri explained that bookings for the 2021 edition have already reached 70 per cent.
Day-five international deals:
- An AED14,033,798 contract with the Jordanian company King Abdullah II Design and Development Bureau to purchase combat launchers for the UAE Armed Forces
- An AED40,453,686 contract with the German company Rheinmetall Electronics to provide technical support services for tactical engagement simulations
- An AED33,975,249 contract with the American company Lockheed Martin to provide technical support services and technicians for the repair and maintenance of rocket launchers (HIMARS)
- An AED129,625,000 contract with the Russian company Joint Stock to purchase ammunitions for the UAE Army
- An AED7,148,640 contract with the Swiss company INOVEX & Simulation to extend technical support and training for Leclerc tank simulators
- An AED16,595,545 contract with the British company CBRNergetics Limited to purchase ammunitions for the UAE Army
- An AED25,800,000 contract with the French company Cefa sas for the supply of spare parts, as well as provision of repair and maintenance services and technical consultations and training on ‘Cefa’ unitsTotal value of contracts with international companies on day five: AED267,631,918
Day-five national deals:
- An AED30,000,000 contract the International Golden Group (IGG) to purchase 155mm ammunitions for the Chinese-made AH4 artillery weapon for the UAE Army
- An AED16,500,000 contract with Al Fahad to install and provide maintenance works on security systems for the UAE Armed Forces
- An AED4,800,000 contract with Al-Fattan company to rent a floating dock for the UAE Navy
- An AED4,929,800 contract with the company Emirates Shooting to improve the efficiency of flash targets
- An AED3,499,116 contract with the company Trust to purchase control vehicles for the UAE Army
- An AED15,400,000 contract with the company Three Dimension for fitness centres
- An AED60,000,000 contract with the company Knowledge Point to provide specialised cadres
Total value of contracts with UAE companies on day five: AED135,128,916
About IDEX & NAVDEX 2019
The International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX) is the largest tri-service defence exhibition in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region. IDEX takes place biennially under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, and is organised by IDEX LLC (an Abu Dhabi National Exhibitions Company (ADNEC) Group Company) in association with the UAE Armed Forces GHQ. This year, IDEX is celebrating its silver jubilee with the largest edition ever since the expo’s inception in 1993.