Gama Aviation research reveals size of Middle East business aircraft market
AeroBD | The AERO news Company…Dubai, UAE, Nov. 08, 2015 :
• Saudi Arabia has the biggest fleet of business aircraft with 188 (24% of the region’s total)
• 22% of the region’s current fleet of business aircraft were delivered between 2010 and 2014
• 70% of the region’s business aircraft are mid to heavy or jet airliners, compared to 31% for the global fleet
New research(1) from Gama Aviation plc, the global aviation services company, reveals that there are now 792 business aircraft in the Middle East, and between 2010 and 2014, 176 of these were delivered to the region. Gama Aviation’s analysis reveals that when compared to the rest of the world, the Middle East has a much bigger focus on mid to larger sized business aircraft. Some 59% of its fleet is classified as medium to heavy, and 11% as business jet airliners. The corresponding figures for the global fleet are 29.8% and 1%. Saudi Arabia has the biggest fleet of business aircraft in the Middle East, with 188 (23.7% of the region’s total), followed by Turkey (157 and 18.5%) and the UAE (135 and 17%). These three countries also accounted for 71% of all business aircraft deliveries between 2010 and 2014.
Gama Aviation plc has been operating in the Middle East since 2006 and it sees strong growth potential for its business in the region. On 1st August it announced that it will be expanding its operations at Sharjah International Airport in the UAE. With the support of Sharjah Airport Authority, it has acquired additional aircraft parking space to meet the growing demand it is experiencing for business aviation (particularly BBJs) at the airport, and from across the region. As part of the agreement, Gama Aviation’s fixed base operation (FBO) and maintenance, repair and operations (MRO) teams will also be personally supervising the business aircraft left in their care, ensuring clients receive the highest possible levels of service.
Middle Eastern business aircraft fleet and breakdown
|Country||Fleet size||Market share||Share of fleet comprising medium, heavy and airliner jets||All business aviation deliveries, 2010-2014|
|United Arab Emirates||135||17.0%||74.8%||37|
|Rest of the Middle East||130||16.4%||53.1%||14|
|ALL MIDDLE EAST||792||1.7% (of world)||70.1%||176|
Martin Ringrose, Gama Aviation’s managing director for the Middle East region, commented: “The Middle East business aviation market is rapidly developing and is one of our major focus areas, which is why we are expanding our operations at the Sharjah International Airport. We expect to see the number of business aircraft in the region – especially the larger ones, which we focus on – to increase and with our experience, global footprint and economies of scale, we believe we are well positioned to capitalise on this growth.”
To help further strengthen its proposition in the region, Gama Aviation has also conducted a review of the Sharjah FBO handling rates and, as a result, the basic handling prices were reduced by 20% in August. This ensures that the Sharjah FBO, just 30 minutes from Downtown Dubai is extremely competitive when compared to similar offerings in the region notably Dubai South (60+ minutes away from Downtown Dubai).
This reduction in costs is just one part of a global review of Gama Aviation’s contracts across all areas of its operations. Due to its increased size following its merger with Hangar8 plc in January this year, the company is able to make considerable costs savings and pass these on to the benefit of its customers. Gama Aviation is exhibiting at the Dubai Air Show after its listing on the London Stock Exchange. Please visit chalet B16 at The Dubai Air Show, which runs from 8th – 12th November 2015.
About Gama Aviation Plc
Gama Aviation Ltd was established in 1983 by Marwan Khalek and Stephen Wright at Fairoaks Airport (UK), initially providing aircraft charter services with one Beech Baron aircraft. Since its inception, it has grown organically and through strategic acquisition. On 8th December 2014, Gama Aviation announced a merger (technically a reverse takeover) with Hangar 8 Plc, creating a company with an estimated market capitalization of £130 million. The deal was completed on 6th January 2015, with Gama Aviation Plc becoming the new listed stock.
The Group offers the following services across its operational network:
- Aircraft management for private, civil and special mission aircraft fleets. Gama Aviation offers a comprehensive fleet management service, including, but not limited to, the provision of management and training of crew personnel, fuel, airworthiness, engineering oversight, insurance, hangar space, valeting, as well as all travel arrangements. Gama Aviation’s fleet under-management comprises over 145 aircraft located at 45 operating bases across five continents.
- Aircraft charter for private individuals and corporate clients. Gama Aviation acts as a charter broker for its owned and/or managed aircraft and occasionally sub-charters aircraft from audited vendors. Core sectors for charter aircraft are: Aeromedical, Financial Services, Music & Entertainment, Sports, High net worth individuals, Government representatives and Royalty.
- Line and base maintenance services. With an extensive portfolio of maintenance approvals and a highly qualified team, Gama Aviation provides a wide range of maintenance services from working with BBJ’s to the class leading Cirrus aircraft.
- Engineering design. Gama Aviation has a design engineering centre of excellence west of London. Working on a wide variety of aviation engineering challenges from camera mounts to avionics and IFE upgrades, the design team are ISO9001 accredited, EASA part 21J and G certified, with the much coveted MAA DAOS military certification.
- FBOs services. Alongside our maintenance business Gama Aviation operates two FBOs at Glasgow and Sharjah International. With excellent fuel rates, lounge facilities and line/base maintenance facilities the FBO’s are amongst the best in the world.
- Aviation & ground management systems. Gama Aviation, through its wholly owned subsidiary Airops Software Ltd, provides both software consultancy and aviation software packages under the brands “AIROPS 5” and “AIROPS Movement-Exec”. Both are critical systems to help business aviation companies manage their assets profitably and are used by the likes of Dassault-Falcon, Airbus, TAG Aviation, etc.